New Education Minister
New Education Minister: Did you know there have been 4 different Ministers for Education in the last 2 months? It’s hard to keep up to date with changes but everyone is hoping the latest one stays for, much needed stability.
So, to help you keep updated, here is a quick summary of the latest Education Minister to be appointed.
Need to know facts
- Name: Kit Malthouse
- Age: 55 years
- Born: Liverpool
- Education: Sudley County Primary school; Liverpool College (a private school now changed); Newcastle University – reading – politics and economics.
- Background profession: chartered accountant.
- Past places of work: Deloitte, Touche, Westminster Council, London Assembly, Deputy mayor for policing under Boris Johnson (mayor at the time) then his Deputy Major for business and enterprise.
- Past Cabinet roles: Work and Pensions minister; Crime and Policing minister, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.
- Current roles: Education Minister; MP for Northwest Hampshire; Chair and majority shareholder of County Finance Group.
- Famous so far for: “Malthouse compromise”, a Brexit plan brokered between leave and remain-supporting MPs in 2019. Also, telling schools to stay open during the heatwave in July whilst Boris Johnson was away.
- What is said about him in terms of education: he is thought to be pro grammar schools and is believed to have said that schools should teach boys how to treat women and girls with respect.